Export Finance Australia Managing Director and CEO
Today I announce the appointment of John Hopkins as Managing Director and CEO of Export Finance Australia (EFA).
Mr Hopkins joined EFA in January 2012 and steps into the Managing Director and CEO role from his position as Chief Risk Officer. Prior to joining EFA he held senior leadership roles in Sydney, London and New York with Westpac, Goodman Group and National Australia Bank.
As Australia’s export credit and overseas infrastructure financing agency, EFA performs a vitally important role in supporting our trade and strategic objectives.
Mr Hopkins’ 25 years in corporate and financial services and his deep experience leading EFA’s risk, legal and operational functions make him an outstanding choice. I am confident EFA’s strong support of Australia’s trade and regional interests will continue under John’s leadership.
I thank outgoing Managing Director and CEO Swati Dave, who led EFA through a period of significant expansion and delivered its largest financings ever.
During Ms Dave’s five-year term, EFA has been highly effective in responding to new challenges and responsibilities, including:
- New powers to finance overseas infrastructure in the Indo-Pacific and to make equity investments.
- Supporting the establishment of the Australian Infrastructure Financing Facility for the Pacific and acting as the lender for its operations.
- Administering the Commonwealth’s AUD2 billion Critical Minerals Facility and USD3 billion Defence Export Facility
- Helping Australian exporters through COVID-19 by providing $257 million in finance to businesses, including tourism operators, and other payment relief.
Throughout Swati’s term as CEO, EFA has continued to provide strong support to SME exporters, including $520 million in finance in the past two years.
I wish Swati well for the future and I look forward to working with John to ensure EFA continues to deliver on the Albanese Government’s trade and infrastructure priorities.
- Minister's office: 02 6277 7420
- DFAT Media Liaison: (02) 6261 1555