Expert panel to advise on visitor economy recovery
An expert panel will provide advice to government and the tourism industry to help drive the economic recovery of the tourism industry and ensure its long-term success.
The panel will provide advice on the visitor economy, which encompasses domestic and international tourism, including international students, business and leisure travellers, business and major events and short-term overseas workers, as well as associated industries such as hospitality, aviation, and accommodation.
Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment Dan Tehan said former federal Tourism Minister, the Hon Mr Martin Ferguson AM, had been appointed to lead the Reimagining the Visitor Economy Expert Panel over the next six months.
“Australia remains a world-leading tourist destination that offers unique tourist attractions and the highest-quality visitor experience,” Mr Tehan said. “Our Government has supported the tourism industry to navigate the challenges of COVID-19 through access to JobKeeper, the $1 billion COVID-19 Relief and Recovery Fund, and our 800,000 discounted airfares.
“Mr Ferguson and his team have the crucial role of helping Australia to chart a course to long-term success as we emerge from COVID-19.”
Mr Ferguson welcomed the opportunity to lead this important work. “We have an opportunity to imagine a new future for the sector which is more resilient, sustainable and competitive,” Mr Ferguson said.
The five-member panel with expertise across key areas of the visitor economy is:
- Martin Ferguson (chair) – Chair of Tourism Accommodation Australia and Clare Valley Wine & Grape Association
- Ms Leanne Coddington – Chief Executive Officer, Tourism and Events Queensland
- Ms Karyn Kent – Chief Executive, StudyAdelaide
- Ms Kate Lamont AM – owner, Lamont’s Wine and Food
- Mr Juan Walker – owner and operator, Walkabout Cultural Adventures
More information about the work of the expert panel, including its Terms of Reference can be found at: Policy and Strategy - For Australian tourism providers - Austrade
- Minister's office: 02 6277 7420 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- DFAT Media Liaison: (02) 6261 1555