Additional $6 million boost for Tasmanian tourism
The Tasmanian tourism sector will get an additional $6 million boost from the Morrison Government, including funding to promote Tasmania as a premier winter tourist destination.
The Government is providing:
- $2 million to support the Winter 2021 marketing program;
- $2.8 million to drive investment in new agritourism experiences and leverage Tasmania's strengths in artisanal and small batch products and experiences;
- $500,000 for Business Events Tasmania to target corporate decision makers to choose Tasmania as an event destination; and
- $582,000 to train travel trade and media partners to increase visibility in domestic markets.
The funding was provided as part of a $13.5m allocation through the Recovery for Regional Tourism Initiative
Senator for Tasmania Jonathon Duniam said tourism supported around 15 per cent of total employment in Tasmania so it was vital to support its recovery.
“Australians want to come to Tasmania for a holiday, and we have seen that through the success of our Government's half-priced airfare offer with huge demand for cheap flights to Tasmania,” Senator Duniam said.
“Our Government is helping to attract more tourists to our state by supporting the unique appeal of a winter holiday in Tasmania and by helping to grow the size of our artisanal producer community.
Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment Dan Tehan said Tasmania was well-placed to take advantage of domestic demand to attract new visitors that supported local jobs and economic growth.
“The best thing the Morrison Government can do for our tourism businesses is to get tourists back spending money,” Mr Tehan said.
“The additional $6 million for Tasmanian tourism complements the 800,000 half-price airfares we funded to get people back into tourist areas and spending money on holidays.
“Australians are looking for unique tourist experiences and Tasmania has plenty to offer.”
- Minister's office: 02 6277 7420 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- DFAT Media Liaison: (02) 6261 1555